These words that I write, they keep me from total insanity. -Charles Bukowski

Aug 10, 2008

My Going Away Party...


DISCLAIMER: BY READING THIS POST YOU AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS. 1. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES CAN YOU EVER DISCUSS THIS POST WITH ME. 2. YOU ARE TO TAKE THIS POST LITERALLY, EVERYTHING I SAY HERE CAME DIRECTLY FROM MY HEART. 3. IF YOU EVER FEEL THE NEED TO SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THIS POST TO ME, SEE RULE #1.


Alright, now that we have that out of the way. I can actually say the things that I want to say.

My friends and family threw me a little going away party this evening. Nothing special, just a nice little gathering of those of my friends that are most near and dear to me. I couldn't have asked for a better send off.

I was deeply touched by all of it. Regardless of what you may think, I do have a heart. (I know sometimes its hard to believe)

I didn't quite realize how all of this could effect everyone around me as much as it has. Once again, just like my mom I think to myself..."My God, I volunteered for this and am putting all of them through this" Yeah, I can't help but think that I am a real dick.

I am going to miss all of you in ways that I'll probably never discuss with any of you just because, well that is the way I am.

I got hammered (always a good thing), I got to spend some time with my friends, I got to sing (Purple Rain, Come Sail Away anyone?), and on top of all that I didn't have to pay for shit...I can't think of a better way to spend an evening.

Never underestimate what you all mean to me. Some soldiers go their whole tours without anyone back home to care about them. Some soldiers go their whole tours without getting one piece of mail. Some soldiers go their whole tours without ever knowing that someone will miss them if and when they are gone.

These are problems that I will never have.

I never really thought about just how much love there can be in one little bar, but now that I have seen it, you all, and that bar have become a part of me...and if there was nothing else that by itself would be reason enough to make it home.

I will make every single one of you proud of me. I will always do my duty regardless of the cost.

So Paulie, Tony, T.J., Kenny, Jeanne, Free Willy, Keith, John, Ray, Philly, Dennis, Beth, Tracy, Fred, Doug, Rosey, Arty, and everyone else (don't get pissed if I didn't mention your name, its fucking 4 in the morning and I am drunk.) Thanks for coming out and showing me just what I am defending, and just what I have to come home to.

For this I will never be able to thank you enough...

And as usual someone always said it better than I ever could. The following poem was written by a 10th grade student, "A.M."

A Soldier’s Farewell

Belovéd, do not weep for me today,
Nor sigh on the morrow when I depart.
For though I am from thine eyes far away,
My thoughts dwell on thee as the battles start.
Death’s cold embrace might appear a relief
From this hellish battlefield’s roiling sand,
Yet then I dream my death writ on a leaf
And with renewed spirit protect my land.
I shirk not my duty to my country
And will strive to bring liberty to all;
When peace and hope shine through the night ‘round me,
Homeward shall my steps delightedly fall.
For one’s heartstrings in his own country lie
And calls him with more force than battle’s cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The 24 Inch Gauge...

 Like I said in my last post, I joined a lodge of Freemasons. Immediately upon starting the process you start to learn things. A lot of diff...