These words that I write, they keep me from total insanity. -Charles Bukowski

Oct 28, 2008

What's Been Going On In My Head...

Someone asked me what's been going on in my mind...Here's what's been happening...

So we have been back here at Bragg for two days now and there hasn't been much to do. Nothing, really. I mean we had to take one of those nice military photographs standing in front of the American flag looking regal and mean all at once. Funny part is, the photo is not for our families or anyone like that. It is for our file in case we get killed so that mortuary affairs can try to put us back together before they ship us home.

Other than that there has been nothing. So I have filled my time poking around the internet, playing video games, watching movies and reading the news. The news in the unfortunate part. I really should've known better than to read the news.

First let me begin this by saying that the news I have been reading is mostly about the presidential campaign. Which has provided me with infinite amounts of entertainment because of the fact that I am in the minority here in the military in that I am an Obama guy. So it has been fun to watch all these die-hard Republicans losing their minds as they watch helplessly as the election is all but decided here in this the last week before the big dance.

I would venture a guess and say that about 90-95% of the military is firmly in the Republican column, whereas I, am on the other side of the debate which has led to many in my platoon referring to me as a "tree-hugging hippy" Which is a moniker that I wear with a bit of irreverent pride. Kind of a little "fuck you" to all these guys.

Now I don't really give a shit either way who you vote for, but this year the whole voting thing has taken on a whole new meaning for me. I am not going to get all preachy and goofy, all I am going to say is...VOTE. Early and often, woops a little too much Chicago coming out in that one.

It is kind of funny watching all the guys here and listening to their beliefs about the world and the things going on in it. Needless to say they have some very, "Nuke 'em all" kind of views on most of the world. I can't help but wondering if I am a little off kilter. I mean, someone said to me today, if you aren't a liberal when you are 21 you have no heart, but if you aren't a conservative when you are 30 then you have no brain. I did it in reverse order.

If you would've talked to me at 21 you would've sworn that I was a dues paying member of the Nazi party. I mean I didn't have an ounce of sympathy for anyone or anything. Fuck them all, was the order of the day for me.

Then I got out into the world and I realized that people are just people. They all want the same things, for the most part. Sure there are some bags o' douche out there but most people just want to be safe, have a chance to make a living and give their families a decent life. I also have a hard time believing that there isn't enough stuff in this world to give those things to all of them.

Black, white, blue, brown, purple, or fucking polka dot everyone at their core wants the same shit. I have seen quite a bit of this world, and I have seen just about all of it, and after this little jaunt I will have seen about all of it. The world over, the problem has nothing to do with any color other than green.

Money, is the beginning and end of all this shit. People can call it whatever they want, money, power, control...whatever. All it comes down to is who has what and how much do they have. The sheeple out there, want to believe that everyone who is a different color than them is the enemy. They don't realize that the only color that has ever mattered is green.

You see if you ask me, the rich point out every difference. Race, religion, sexuality, and whatever else they can think of to keep us...(all the non-rich) from uniting against them. They know that they can keep us in line as long as they keep us afraid of each other and fighting amongst ourselves, so that they can keep on running to the fucking bank.

Fairly simple technique, happens to work.

Now if I could just convince a few people of this then we might be in business.

I have entirely too much time on my hands. Sooner or later something has got to happen so I can stop thinking about this kind of shit all the time. I am giving myself a headache.

Later,

Mom, I love you...

5 comments:

  1. mudpuppy...thanks for answering my question. Listening to the news these days, keeps me with a chronic headache as well. This time next week, America will have voted. I do hope there is an outstanding turnout this year at the polls. I couldn't agree with you more, it matters not your party affiliation-exercise your freedom to vote, America!
    So now that we know what is going on in your head...what is going on in your gut? Anxious? Nervous? Excited? Ready?

    ~AirmanMom returning to her blog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel very lucky to have stumbled upon your blog, and this post in particular. You definitely seem to have your shit together and your head in the right place ... NOT up your ass, as is the case with your McCain endorsing counterparts.

    I'm sorry, but I have a very difficult time understanding the thought processes of the "other side". You have made some extremely good points about the color green.

    I am praying for the future of this country ... and an honest and fair (without fraud) outcome of the upcoming election. If that happens then I think we all have cause for hope. Peace.

    Mom, you have a terrific son.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I would have stumbled across your blog sooner.

    As far as this post, you are right on and you summed it up nicely.

    AMO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Karen...wish I found your blog earlier. Great post...not because I happen to agree with you, but because it was so well thought out and written. Let's just hope that all our votes get counted this time...whomever they should be for. (It's kinda fun to be the hippy dippy liberal watching everyone else go nuts, isn't it? Heehee.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. No way is it ninety-ninety five percent. It just feels like it because a lot of the rest are pretty quiet.

    I didn't find out how many people were pretty left leaning until I came out as IVAW to the guys in my unit and got a pretty collecive 'Eh, okay, cool' with one or two exceptions. They just don't talk about that stuff a lot until they're sure they're safe.

    ReplyDelete

The 24 Inch Gauge...

 Like I said in my last post, I joined a lodge of Freemasons. Immediately upon starting the process you start to learn things. A lot of diff...