Wednesday, December 24, 2008 1031 hrs.
So it's Christmas Eve, tomorrow will be Christmas. So let me begin by saying Merry Christmas to all and to all...ah I can't finish that sentence. Not because of any particular animosity toward Christmas, I actually love Christmas, but just because it is so damn cliché that I can't finish the sentence.
I guess I should recognize a few people who have been particularly supportive of me while I have been here.
1. Airman Mom: you are quickly becoming like a virtual mother to me, and your care packages are most definitely something that I look forward to always. Not to mention the bandana is great, I love it.
2. Missy: I already consider you a true friend and between the hot sauce and the chocolate covered sunflower seeds I am going to have a very Merry Christmas. I wish you and your family all the joy possible this Christmas.
3. Professor: I can't even tell you how shocking it was for me to learn that you had taken my bullshit into a college classroom and the students actually got something out of it. That was almost the best Christmas present I could've gotten. I truly appreciate it.
4. Kathy & Tasha: I will never forget working with you guys and you should've seen the looks on the kids faces when I gave them all the stuff you guys had sent to me. (Don't worry; I picked out all the good stuff first.) You are my friends and will always be so.
5. Jeanne: Holy shit, I know you are going broke sending me stuff. I counted at least two paychecks worth of stuff lying around my room. I will never be able to tell you how much your love and support means while I am here. It makes every day that much easier. Thanks babe.
6. Kenny: Hard drives are good for holding "morale building" material. That damn thing is the single most important thing I have received while I am here. Thanks pal, and have a drink at the post for me. Merry Christmas.
7. Anyone else that comments on my B.S.: Please understand that if I could I would answer each and every comment. However, we only get 30 minutes at a pop on the computer so I have to write my shit on my personal computer and then thumb drive it over to the lab. I appreciate and read every comment I get. They make this whole writing thing worthwhile for me. Merry Christmas to all of you.
8. Post 1205 (All of you) Merry Christmas you drunken loons. I miss all of you dearly. I could go on and on, but that is reserved for the mom. So do me a favor, lift your glasses tomorrow and toast me a "Merry Christmas" then make sure Last Call Paul gives me an E.A.D. That would make my day. (Make sure the Rolling Rock is cold when I get home.)
9. The Whole Family: Most of you are entirely out of your minds which makes you fun. So Auntie, Auntie Buddie, Sandy, Michael, Jared, Joshua, Aaron, Beth, Julie, Scotty 2 Hotty, all your damn animals, Stevie, Eve, Matt, Eric, and whoever else...if I forgot you, well get over it, I love you all and wish you all a Merry Christmas.
10. T.J. (Last numbered person) Little brother, I miss you, and I love you. Ahh, that actually made my skin crawl, enough of the mushy shit. Keep on being just like you are, you wouldn't be much fun any other way. I found out that I could bring you back a "piece" from here in Afghanistan. It just has to be dated 1898 or earlier. So I'll work on that one later on in January when I go on pass. And finally, I can say in no uncertain terms, that you are now the fattest of the brothers. What do you think of that one "Chunk style"?
And last but certainly not least, Mom. I know that this is going to be the hardest Christmas you have had in a long time. Between the usual Christmas shit you have to put up with, now you have the added stress of me not being there. But you'll be fine.
I know you will, you always are. Remember what you told me, either get up and do it or lie down and die. Well I am going to get up and do it. And I know you are too. I know that through the years between T.J. and I the Christmas's were tough but it is going to be all right. I will be gone for this one, but I've been gone before, however I am going to be right there with you in my mind. And I know you'll be right here with me in yours. While I am disappointed that I have to be away from you during this season, you know that there is a part of me that is so very happy to be doing what I am doing. While it sucks, my being away is just part of what I have to do, and I think you have made your peace with that, and if you haven't well get it done.
Everything that is happening and will happen will be for a reason. God brought me here for a reason. I don't really know exactly what it is yet but there is something. And don't worry, given the environment I am in my faith has been renewed several times. But regardless, I have been saying my prayers daily and if I could get to church around here I would. But I think God will cut me some slack on this one.
I wish that I could be there on Christmas morning to watch the little ones, (some not so little anymore) open them presents. I wish I could've been there to hear you and T.J. argue about putting up the lights. I wish I could be there when the football games come on, and get to listen to Julie bitch about watching them. I wish I could eat the turkey and ham and potatoes and corn and all the other stuff. I wish I could drink the beer. (Enough about food) I wish I could take you for a ride to go and look at all the homes with the 8 zillion lights on them. I even wish I could've shoveled some snow.
So Mom, Merry Christmas, I think of you everyday and I cannot wait to get home. I'll bring some good stuff home. This whole thing is just another test. One which we will pass with flying colors, just like all the rest. And while I can't promise that I will not miss anymore Christmas's, I can promise that no matter where I am you will always be in my heart and I already know that I am in yours. So be happy this Christmas Mom, don't be bummed because I am not there. Your happiness is the best gift that I could ever get.
No "Blue Christmas" this year. Might I suggest, "That Spirit of Christmas" by Ray Charles?
And to the rest of you...MERRY F@#$%^G CHRISTMAS TO ALL.
And now I am done.
I love you mom...