These words that I write, they keep me from total insanity. -Charles Bukowski

Jun 6, 2010

Another Day 6...

So I'm writing this as I watch game 5 of the Blackhawks vs. the Flyers for the Stanley Cup.  So if I miss anything or sound like an idiot it is because of the fact that I am distracted.

I was thinking that if the Hawks pull this off I will have witnessed a championship from every major sports team in Chicago in my lifetime.  But that matters little here today.  What does matter is that I just saw Dustin Byfuglein destroy Chris Pronger in the corner!

Okay, now down to business.  I was supposed to update my resume today.  Well I did it.  I don't really know what else to tell you.

I've got a pretty decent job with the Feds.  I make a good living.  I've got health insurance so I'm not really looking but I did it.  I kept it down to a page.  Figure that I need to highlight the job I have now (other than the Army my only real job.) and my college education.  Done and done.

Then I started wondering about all those guys that don't have jobs.  Ugh, quite depressing.

Then I started thinking about my career.  I guess that's what you would call it.  I looked over my resume and thought back a few years before I had this job.

And I realized that I was pretty pissed that the fire was gone.  I know exactly what happened.  I'm not hungry anymore, and I may just be getting old and both of these facts are infinitely depressing.  I'm sure most of  you know what I'm talking about.

You get older, you manage to find a good job that pays you enough to live comfortably.  You got your benefits, your retirement, or whatever it is, and these things become like a big security blanket and one day you look around and everything is so...blah.

Oh wonderful, I've managed to turn a little thing like updating my resume into something shitty.

Going through this I can't help but think of Fight Club, "the things you own end up owning you"

So, I'm going to have to think about this a bit more, and finish watching this damn game.  More to come.

Later,

I love you Mom...

3 comments:

  1. Once again...a task which sparked a surprise journey. love it!

    As for growing older and life coming blah....nay, nay! As you know, I work with the public...on a regular basis I hear the words, "have a nice day". I shake it up by saying, "Make it a good day". Every great once in a while, someone actually listens to me and replies how much they prefer those words.
    So to you, my VirtuaSon...I say, "Make it a good life". It's a personal choice, how exciting or unexciting each new day is written. I don't see much unexcitement in your life!
    ~AM

    ReplyDelete
  2. AirmanMom...

    I can't put it in better words :)

    ....and now let's wait together for the updates on Day 7 ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you are contemplating a career change? Writing your resume is a first step - and can be tough. :)

    This is interesting ... I agree with AirmanMom it's a personal choice. I think you need to love what you do - but love is a choice - yikes, I know that's controversial - but one can find value if one looks. So I propose that in your next meditation time contemplate the value of what you are currently doing - look at your 5 values ... ponder, ponder, ponder.

    You have an interesting career which I believe touches a lot of lives ... now to the mundane - if you need someone to proof the resume, well, you know where I am :)

    ReplyDelete

The 24 Inch Gauge...

 Like I said in my last post, I joined a lodge of Freemasons. Immediately upon starting the process you start to learn things. A lot of diff...