I skipped "Take a woman on a date" because...well its Wednesday.
I skipped "Memorize 'IF'" because...well its Wednesday, wait that doesn't work. I skipped it, because I have to work on it. Not to mention what the hell am I going to write about sitting around for a few hours trying to memorize a poem. Not that I won't do it, but there's not much to write about.
I skipped "declutter your life" because I am going to do that tomorrow. Got the day off work, so let's spend it cleaning my apartment. Ugh.
I skipped "give yourself a testicular exam" because well...its Wednesday and I only do testicular exams on Saturdays.
So I went straight to "Create your bucket list"
ALL THE THINGS TO DO BEFORE I DIE
- Climb a mountain.
- Read every book Hemingway ever wrote.
- Finish a triathlon.
- Ride a motorcycle cross country.
- Write a book. (might have already done this one.)
- Help someone build a house.
- Run an entire marathon.
- See London, Moscow, Hong Kong, and Sydney.
- Find the love of my life.
- Marry her.
- Impregnate her.
- Get a Master’s Degree.
- Get weight down to less than 230.
- Run with the bulls in Pamplona, Spain.
- Ride a bull.
- See a fight in Vegas.
- See a Notre Dame football game.
- See a Super Bowl.
- Be debt free.
- Learn to hunt.
- Hunt in Africa.
- Volunteer teaching someone to read.
- Try Absinthe.
- Learn a few magic tricks, and get really good at them.
- Learn a foreign language.
- Sleep in a haunted house.
- Learn to fly.
- Go para-sailing.
- Swim with sharks or maybe just dolphins.
- See Burning Man.
- Jump off a waterfall.
- Brew my own beer. Straight from scratch.
- Plant 100 trees.
- Learn to ballroom dance, maybe even that "swing" stuff.
- Ride the Trans-Siberian Express.
- Oktoberfest in Munich.
- Learn to play the piano.
- Go to Carnival in Rio.
- Quit my job.
- Drive the Autobahn. (the whole thing)
- Run to the top of the Statue of Liberty.
- Create a family tree.
- See all the wonders of the world. (that are left)
- Have at least one fight. Judged by a referee.
- Play a legendary prank.
- Read everything Mark Twain ever wrote.
- Quit smoking.
- Set foot on all seven continents.
- Climb one of the worlds seven summits.
- Read every book Hunter S. Thompson ever wrote.
- Learn a martial art.
- Fly somewhere 1st class.
- See the Louvre.
- Join the "mile high" club.
As I thought about this list I got into the meaning of the whole thing. Things you want to do before you die. If I pulled off all of this, I could die tomorrow with a big ole' grin on my face and as peaceful as any man has ever been. And the thought of that made me smile.
I've seen a lot of people die in my life. Most of them entirely too young, and most of them with a whole lot of shit left on their bucket lists. Two quotes came to mind as I kept on thinking about it...
"Most men live lives of quiet desperation." A wholly depressing thought, but all too true.
And one of my favorites...
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever get boring!" Nice thought that if taken the right way will really get your ass in gear every morning.
Anyway, let me know what you think.
I love you Mom...