These words that I write, they keep me from total insanity. -Charles Bukowski

Oct 27, 2012

Combat Skirts...

The Daily Beast did a piece on women in combat. You can read it HERE

It was the usual fare. The argument for women in combat normally follows the same general outline.

They integrated minorities and the sky didn't fall.
They integrated gays just about 20 minutes ago with the repeal of DADT.
Now its time to integrate women into combat.

The argument against women in combat usually goes like this.

Women will destroy unit cohesion.
Women will distract the men from the important work they're doing.
The men/women won't be able to control themselves sexually. (Sorry folks, but this is already happening. Combat or not. Anytime you put people in a situation like Afghanistan or Iraq is unavoidable there's going to be some serious fucking going on.)

Then some glowing voice of reason in the comments section of any piece on women in the military always brings up the fact that women are physically weaker than men. Then some skirt comes back with, "I passed the APFT at the male standard!!!"

Usual bullshit.

All of this derives from the military's ban on women in combat arms MOS's (military occupational specialties) Such as, infantry, armor, engineers (I think), Special forces, and field artillery. My apologies to any I missed, but I'm an MP so I truly couldn't give a shit less.

And here's where I kinda laugh at the whole thing. Now whether or not there's an "official" ban on women in combat, or a de jure ban on women in combat, the de facto state of combat is there are plenty of women in there.

I've got a combat action badge, and you can say anything you want, we were engaged by and we engaged the enemy, and there was a skirt driving for me, and there was a skirt behind the 50 cal in the truck in front of me, and there was a skirt team leader in the truck behind me. This happened numerous times during the course of a 10 month hitch in country. I'm sure there's hundreds of thousands of stories and military records that would tell you the same.

So as much as people want to bitch, whine and complain about the ban. I want the military to get rid of it for two reasons.

  1. Your ban is meaningless, women are already in combat.
  2. I am sick of fucking hearing about it.
The way I figure it, this debate is pointless when one side has already won out. Whether anyone likes it or not the nature of combat in this day and age has changed to the point where its literally impossible to keep women out of combat. The discussion is pointless. Your argument is invalid.

Now that we've got that settled, somebody can figure out the PT standards...

(Just so you know, the title is purposely inflammatory.)

2 comments:

The 24 Inch Gauge...

 Like I said in my last post, I joined a lodge of Freemasons. Immediately upon starting the process you start to learn things. A lot of diff...