These words that I write, they keep me from total insanity. -Charles Bukowski

Jul 16, 2008

Legalized insanity

I just got an email with a guy I served on active duty with.  He is currently married with two children and is putting his life together after the military got finished with him.  Just thought that the sentiment he shared was worth repeating.  The context of the email is that I sent him a book that I thought he would really enjoy reading, and I emailed him saying that the book was on its way and he should read it because its always good to exercise your mind.

HE REPLIED:  "If you are going to be in the Active Army for the next year or two I suggest you stop exercising your brain right now!!!!!!!!!! You could become one of those unfortunate souls who go crazy from all the legalized insanity.  You know that is my personal definition of the Army.  Think about it, if you want to put yourself in a position to die or to kill others in the civilian world, you would be institutionalized.  If you do it in the Army you are given a medal and promoted!!  Airborne Brother."

The dichotomy there is astonishing. (A wonderful word that I picked up watching "Word Girl" in the doctor's office) Short and sweet, but there it is.  

Oh by the way, the book I sent him was, "Blood makes the grass grow green" By Johnny Rico.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The 24 Inch Gauge...

 Like I said in my last post, I joined a lodge of Freemasons. Immediately upon starting the process you start to learn things. A lot of diff...